Saturday, February 13, 2010

I want chickens

I really really want some chickens! We had chickens when I was a kid. Without my parents permission (when I was about 8 yrs) I bought 4 "cosmic" chickens from the school fete. Cosmic meant they had been dyed different colours. Of course they all turned out to be roosters and they were the meanest group of chickens you would ever come across. They were leghorns- I think the breed is a bit like that.

Well not to be discouraged, I want to try again. I think it would be just magic for my kids to see where their food comes from, help with the care and egg collection and all the other good things that come from chickens.

We rent here in the suburbs, so I had to check with the local council restrictions and luckily the block is big enough, and the real estate agent gave us the all clear so time to choose which type of chickens to get.

4 comments:

  1. Make sure you support the rare breeds when you choose your chickens. Good luck they are a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Just think of all the lovely things you will be able to bake with your fresh free range eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you end up getting some chooks? We have 7 and love ours, they are amusing to watch, eat the scraps and give us eggs in return!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get your chooks from?

    ReplyDelete